Amy F. Peters
What Can an Elder Law Attorney Do For You?
While estate planning and elder law go hand in hand, making smart legal decisions as a senior citizen goes a lot deeper than setting up a simple will. In fact, elder law attorneys such as myself take on a multifaceted role by helping the elderly population protect their current finances and assets while also preventing future financial abuse.
Why Speak to an Elder Law Attorney?
Logically, you know that planning for the future is a smart decision to make. At the same time, though, you may find yourself continually coming up with reasons not to get started on your long-term care planning (in most cases, the culprit is a general “I’ll have time for that later” mentality).
But here’s the thing: consulting with an experienced elder law attorney can actually save you and your family a great deal of financial and emotional stress down the road. Here’s why:
- It’s expensive not to be prepared. In California, nursing home care can cost up to and over 10,000 per month. As a result, unprepared senior citizens frequently find their savings depleted on their own long-term care before they can ever pass anything on to their loved ones.
- That expense can pass on to your kids. In the event that your savings go toward unexpected medical costs or long-term care, there’s a good chance that your kids are going to be the ones footing any bills you can’t cover.
- Elder financial abuse is very real. According to the National Adult Protective Services Association, about 1 in 20 senior citizens reports being a victim of financial abuse. Even more upsetting, such victims are four times more likely to go to a nursing home, and about 1 in 10 victims turn to Medicaid in order to recover financially.
While these facts may be intimidating at a glance, my intent is not to frighten you — rather, it’s to give you a friendly push in the right direction. After all, the sooner you and your attorney get started, the sooner you can address each of these issues, gain some well-deserved peace of mind, and ultimately prevent unnecessary problems for your family.
Elder Law Tools in the San Diego Area
Every state has its own approach to estate planning and elder law, which is why it’s crucial to work with an attorney who knows the ins and outs of your area’s laws. As an elder law attorney who has worked with families throughout the North County area for more than three decades, I am more than prepared to help you determine which of the following legal tools (or combination of tools) are right for you:
- Powers of Attorney
- Advanced Healthcare Directives
- Medi-Cal (California’s Medicaid program)
As you can imagine, these tools are not a comprehensive list of options we can explore. Every case is different, and my goal is always to provide my clients with the absolute best legal strategy for their unique circumstances. When we work together, I will take the time to get to know you so that, as a team, we can decide on the best approach for you and your family.
Estate Preservation Group Is Here for You
My name is Amy Fike Peters, and as the founding attorney of Estate Preservation Group, I would like to personally offer a helping hand through the process of planning your long-term care. In addition, I would like to give you the peace of mind that comes with knowing your legal plan is customized to fit your unique financial needs, family dynamics, and long-term goals.
Whether you’re a senior citizen looking to get your affairs in order or a loved one seeking guidance on behalf of an elderly family member, please don’t hesitate to contact me today. With more than 32 years of experience serving Carlsbad and North County San Diego, you can trust that my knowledge of California elder law can only be an asset in your case.